Saturday, March 12, 2011

To dream beyond a nightmare.

Recently I read an article about a young Yemeni girl of ten years of age who was married, sexually exploited and beaten mercilessly by her husband and in-laws. She was sold by her father, bought by a monster, lived with blood suckers and in her tender age of ten, lived a nightmare many of us can not even imagine.

In my neighbourhood, there is this wife beater who beats his wife each day, there are noises of screaming and crying and nobody seems to care. I can not place exactly which apartment the noises are from but once I did have a strong urge to call the police. The howling soon stopped and I kept wondering to myself why a woman would live with a man who beats her everyday.

Women, by nature, are more submissive and resigned than men. They have immense mental strength and go through agonising mental and physical torture each day, each moment just to make someone else happy. But, the question is, is this fair? Obviously not, many of us would say. But, go back to the older generation and the women will tell you that a woman's life is filled with pain and sacrifice and that it is her duty to put up a brave face, no matter what.

I have lived in a very liberal atmosphere, I am the only child and my parents are very supportive of me. I never realised how much that meant until I saw women fighting for their most basic right, the right to live. I am a woman and I am proud of being one. I do not call myself a feminist, I believe in equality. But I also believe that sometimes you have to fight for what you deserve. I want to see all women, regardless of their religion, caste, colour or creed, to stand up and fight for what they deserve. I want to see men respect women and their feelings, to value their emotions and talent. I want to see equality, I want to see love. I want to see a dream beyond the nightmare.

2 comments: